Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Thesis - Initial idea of site/project

Now that the first week of school has begun, I've determined that my project for the year will revolve around the design and construction of an architecture school. The site of my school has yet to be determined mostly because my professor wants us to spend 24 hours on our site which would mean that I would have to choose a location  within range of where I currently live. The reason why I wouldn't have my site in California is because the abundance of architecture schools within the California coast. Creating another school would cause my school to get lost in the mix along with the others. An ideal location for me would be one that isn't as impacted by all the surrounding institution, as well as a place that has a lot of architectural history and development.

After having gone through 7 years of architectural training in several different institutions, I believe that designing a school of my own could serve as a bar for how much I've learned and progressed over the years. I could incorporate my ideas along with a basic understanding of programming into a school that would be from a students perspective looking out as opposed to a person looking in. This school would serve as a pedagogical structure that emphasizes the idea of creation upon awareness by methodology, demonstration of material experimentation and construction. Communal spaces will promote integration by interaction through the use of large open spaces that will weave itself  into the programmatic functions of classrooms and display rooms for student work. Having flexible studio spaces for student would help meet their needs of providing movable parts within each individualized desk that would serve different purposes. The issue that I'm concerned with now is whether to have classrooms with desks or a large universal studio space where students can work in an environment with those who aren't just in their studio. I believe it also helps students engage in conversations with people who can offer a different perspective on a project while decreasing the amount of dependency that students usually have with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment