Sunday, September 26, 2010

Refuge/Transition

After talking with Karen about my initial idea of designing an architecture school, she made me realize that I didn't have much of an agenda or justification for doing one. Once i came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to design a school, I began to think about what type of work I would see myself doing in the years ahead. An issue that interests me is poverty, and how it's become a growing problem that's creating a greater separation between the homeless and the rest of society. Los Angeles has one of the densest population of homeless people in the country with approximately 57,000 people within the counties 4,000 sq. ft. But something I'm more specifically interested in, are the stories of how each person became homeless. I believe that starting with the source of the problem will help propel my thesis for creating a place of refuge and transition more meaningful. I think the only way of having a successful thesis is by generating a large response from the public that will become something of importance in the future. By doing the 24 hour site visit, I'll hopefully have a project that provides a certain depth and perspective to those who have no idea about this growing trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment